Over the years, I have been blessed with a slew of roommates who exceed expectations. While my roomies are of a variety of backgrounds, interests, and personalities, one common thread they share is their collection of selfless acts of which I am the beneficiary.
Specific examples:
1. My longest-ever roommate and twin sister Corey, from womb to MD, SF, TX, and NC: Notably, she let me come out of mom first, and she obliged any time I wanted to switch back and forth between top- and bottom-bunk.
2. College roomie and eventually sorority sister Emily: Put up with my morass of belongings in our dorm room, shared her local family with me when we were at Berkeley, and encouraged me/woke me up for important academic landmarks (e.g., Anthropology final at 8am first semester). Also tucked me into bed sometimes when I was sad. (She pushed in the sides of the covers and everything.)
3. Gamma Phi "roomie for life" Veronica: Made my bed often, slept soundly while I woke up hours before her on school days, saved food for me, fed (literally) my cupcake obsession, and listened to every woe and celebration of my college career.
4. Current roommate Courtney: Met her a little over one year ago at a Teach For America event, became instant friends (especially after discovery of our sisterhood in Gamma Phi Beta). I remember well my proposal of our living arrangement. I was watching the NBA finals with Roommate #1 Corey in Davis, and I found out Court and I would both be teaching in San Jose, and I realized that this was too perfect of an opportunity to pass up. After one of the best and most memorable summers of my life, including a pre-roomie road trip to SJ to pick out our fabulous new apartment, I find myself celebrating a year of friendship and another year of Courtney's life, extremely blessed to have yet ANOTHER Best Roommate Ever. Never did I think I could find someone who shared so many of my loves (TV, meat, purple, etc.) in the world.
Happy 23rd Courtney!
No comments:
Post a Comment