Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Whales

I love whales. They're like monsters, but real.

I can't remember why I mentioned this, but when I was in London with my family, I mentioned to my little sister Erin that I would like to stand next to a whale. Mostly because whales are really big and it would be kind of freaky. Later that same day, we went into some science museum that actually had a life-sized whale model in one of the rooms, so Erin took a picture of me standing next to it.


I've mentioned before that I like sharks a lot, too. Normal fish, not so much because they're boring unless you're feeding them. Sometimes when I'm bored I look up YouTube videos of shark attacks. Most of them aren't that impressive. I watched the movie Reef with my friend Jessica recently, and I wanted to see someone get attacked by a shark, but they didn't really show anything except people doggy-paddling and screaming for the entire movie. Occasionally, someone died, but really the water just turned red and people freaked out. Incidentally, I don't recommend the movie. If I hadn't just told you that nothing happens though, you might have enjoyed the suspense. Anyway, sharks and whales are cool because they eat people and are large, respectively.

Stephen and I went to see the sharks at the Aquarium of the Bay at Pier 39 last weekend. It was really neat, it was one of those where you stand on a moving sidewalk and go through a water tunnel that has fish and stingrays and sharks all around you. I was hoping for a shark attack. That didn't happen, but we did get there when the divers were feeding everyone (the animals, not the people), so we got to see some stingrays get pretty feisty. Other things I noted during the aquarium visit:

1. I feel embarrassed when I see the underside of a shark or stingray. It feels inappropriate.
2. Frogs are really disgusting.
3. I would appreciate a shark-attack simulation next time.
4. I would like to go whale watching some day. (No whales at the aquarium, but there was a picture of one and it made me want to watch real whales.)

Well, yesterday was Valentine's Day, and the rest of my whale dreams are going to come true because Stephen gifted me a future whale watching trip in Half Moon Bay! Hopefully they're flipping that day... or get into fights with sharks. If not, I've also been promised a bacon-filled breakfast before we leave, so it promises to be a good day.

Finally, a great Valentine's Day. (Here's last year's in case you need a refresher.) Thanks Stephen!

1 comment: