Saturday, April 16, 2011

Mental Health Kick

I have observed relatively recently that people often have very specific, adamant beliefs about what best practices best relieve the stresses of daily life. For example, a former roommate of my sister was an advocate of yoga as a way to unwind and create holistic well-being. I was thinking about ways to promote my own mental health, and have decided to take on a personal project where I will identify my own Mental Health Best Practice. Eventually I'll give a brief overview of some potentially rejected ideas, but first some not-yet-rejected possibilities and examples which I have drawn from my older and wiser relatives:

Parents: Exercise.
For the past few years, my parents have been strong advocates of exercise, especially running. For as long as I can remember, there has been an exercise bike in my parents' rec room, which I mostly viewed as a toy -- well into high school, actually. My parents used to exercise on it in front of the television. I would also sit on it sometimes. Like when I had friends over and we were watching a movie and all the couch space was taken up.

Eventually, though, my parents became even more avid exercisers. My parents have completed many marathons and half-marathons (They have medals and pictures to prove it. On display in the bathroom. Not going to explain that here. It's not that weird.). They have also upgraded the living room exercise machinery by adding a treadmill. Sometimes I stand on it if my legs are cramping while I'm watching TV. Our former guest room has been transformed into an office SLASH exercise room with free weights, a punching bag, and a weight bench. Sometimes I sit on it when... nevermind. They even graduated a P90X phase!

Incidentally, when I'm cranky or sad or tired or my back hurts, my dad has a predictably go-to answer for me: exercise.

Mom's Mom (Nana): Sleep.
This one, I can do. I love sleep so much that I plan everything else around when I can sleep. But Nana's sleep advocacy goes beyond a mere love for sleep. Nana views sleep as a solution. She is very vocal about sleep needs and not sacrificing those needs. I have visited Nana and Papa's house on a few occasions after a break in school or work (oh wait, that's still school), where my body inevitably takes the time to be sick for a few days. Nana quickly attributes the illness to sleep deprivation, so I pass out on the couch and sleep to my heart's content. The satisfying fluffiness of the pillows at her house are evidence of the importance of sleep in her household and lifestyle.

I think sleep is a definite option for my Mental Health Best Practice. I already love it, so I would merely need to shift my attitude toward it as a solution. In the coming weeks, I plan to get as much of it as possible. An additional thought to keep in mind: a friend once told me that it's sleep quality, not quantity, that really makes the difference.

Dad's Mom (Grandma): Food.
At first, I was thinking that Grandma's MHBP was all about eating food. Upon further review, I realize that Grandma does not only advocate the eating of good food (chicken adobo, yum.), but also about the making of good food. When I was a Freshman in college, my grandmother gave me a key to her house. Since then, I invariably pop in unannounced to her house, and if she is not already making food for some special occasion, she promptly offers it. After many family party food preparations, leftover reheats, and breakfasts discussing her extensive travel history, I have realized that Grandma's mental health -- and the mental healths of others which she supports -- is based on food-centered activities, including but not limited to: eating, cooking, parties, refrigerator scavenging, and even potato peeling parties (again, not explaining that one right now.).

Mental note: If I decide to take on the above MHBP, I will not just start eating more food all the time, but also plan social events where "food" is the theme or main activity.


And now for the rejects...
I was thinking in the car today that maybe I already implement a Mental Health Best Practice. Or a few. I brainstormed for a little while and realized that some of my current MHBPs might actually be Worst Practices, to my chagrin:

They are:
  • fast food
  • painting my nails
  • television
  • combinations of the above

And here begins the process of discovering my preferred MHBP. Key word: Health.

2 comments: