This is a favorite song of mine written and performed by a friend from L'Abri, Timothy Walker. I'm surprised he's not already more famous than he is now, but I'm sure that will change soon. He has a voice that, as I told him, is "so good it makes me want to throw up," and he gifted me one of his albums, "The More That I Am Old," on a particularly bad day of rain and cold in England. He is a great writer, musician, and friend. Find more of his stuff here. His stage name is "Threadbare, Brother."
This song, "The Dirge of Abraham (And Sarah's Reply in a Dream)" is written from the perspective of Abraham the father of nations, in his ninth century of life or something like that, to his wife Sarah, who has passed away. Then Abraham misses her and doesn't want his life to go on without her. Her "reply" at the end reassures Abraham that he can go on with his life, because she is in Heaven with God. It is both aesthetically and emotionally beautiful. (Genesis 23.) (Spoiler: Eventually Abraham gets over it and he gets a new wife and several concubines, but he had a lot of nations to create, so that's why that happened.)
oh abraham, my love
weep not for me, my love
i've seen the one
who gave us isaac, our son.
weep not for me, my love
i've seen the one
who gave us isaac, our son.
Daily dose of religious history = check
No comments:
Post a Comment