Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Don't Spill the Beans!

Remember this game? Part of a weird series of Hasbro games including Cootie, Don't Break the Ice, Kerplunk, Ants in the Pants... I played "Don't Spill the Beans" once. It wasn't as cool as I hoped it would be. They make that red pot into a weird looking character in order to distract you from how boring the game is. It's been a while since I played (that one time), but basically you take turns putting beans in the creepy red pot and screaming.

You know what's missing from this game? Bean juice.

(You have no idea where this is going. Don't even try to guess.)

Last night, when this saga began, I was having a brainstorm session with Roommate Courtney about dinner. We decided it would be fun to have soup (after a brief visit at the idea of a baked potato). Usually when I need a good recipe I call up my mother. She transcribes my favorite recipes via email for me sometimes. When I called my mom, Little Sister Erin answered... She said Mom and Dad were at a play, so I asked her to go digging around in the recipe box.

"Go to the soup section.
Got it?
Now start reading the recipes."

"Black bean soup..."

"--Black bean soup!?! What's in that one!? [Silence.] Read the ingredients please..."

"There's a lot."

"Good. Just read them."

"Olive oil, garlic, jalapeno, red bell pepper--"

"Great. Now take a picture and text it to me."

"Okay."

"Okay keep reading the soups."


[I'll spare you the rest of the dialogue. Incidentally I made Erin take and send me pictures of four different soup recipes. Asparagus soup, chicken corn chowder, black bean, and something else... I'll cook them all eventually. What a great little sister.]

We decided on the black bean soup and hit the grocery store. We got back and started chopping things. Now some Background Info Re: Our Kitchen... We have three can openers. One was accidentally stolen from the boys upstairs, one was purchased (cheap) by me and immediately broken, the other was recently purchased by Courtney. Actually, I realized yesterday that all three can openers are broken. I know because I used all of them to puncture small holes in the rims of three cans of black beans, two of which I maneuvered open with the assistance of a spoon, a fork, and a Really Sharp Knife (that probably wasn't a smart tool to use). The third was a little trickier. Had to use both thumbs to push in the lid.

Good news: Didn't cut my fingers on the jagged edges made by the Treacherous Trio of can openers.
Bad news: Bean juice ALL OVER ME.

(Don't spill the beans. Get it?)

Also, the soup was delicious. We added a secret ingredient. I'll never tell.

3 comments:

  1. I don't care about your soup.





    But at least you gave me the option of reading about it or not instead of bringing it to work and making guess whats inside. :-)

    ReplyDelete