Monday, November 21, 2011

Fonts.

Sometimes, when I don't have anything else to think about (like when I'm trying to fall asleep or driving or at work... just kidding), I think about what I'll write about in my next blog post. The low post count this month should give you a pretty good idea of how fast I've been falling asleep lately, because I've been a bit lacking in inspiration. One thing I do think about quite frequently though, is the idea of a blog mini-series or repeating theme/topic. In theory, it would make blogging much easier by having some automatic suggestions of things to write about. The actual topics that I've come up with, however, might put a strain on the level of amusement of my readers i.e., my family members and roommate.

Blog series/topic ideas:
1. Pet Peeves
3. Things I think about when watching Law and Order

...and the topic which overarches today's post and many others: Things you didn't think were important, but I'm about to prove otherwise.


Fonts are really important. They say a lot about a person. Sometimes I get a really serious email at work, but then the email signature has the sender's name in something ridiculous like Curlz MT, and I no longer find the email to be remotely serious. This person actually took the time to
think, I'm going to change the font of my email signature to draw attention to my name... which font should I use? Oh, this one with the name that ends in a "-z," that's so professional. That can't actually go through someone's mind, right?

Same with resumes. I used to screen resumes when I worked at a small financial planning office. My boss would print applicants' resumes and hand me a stack of them, and then I would go through and look for good candidates. This can be very tedious, because many people are of the mindset that the more things they fit onto one page, the better. (Tip: That isn't true at all.) However, when I came across any resume written in Comic Sans, it went straight into the shredder. I couldn't even use it as scratch paper because I might accidentally look at the font and become ill.


Here's a fun BBC video about fonts: Click!

Best quote: "Make sure if you're going to use Comic Sans for your CV, that you're applying to become a clown."

No comments:

Post a Comment