Monday, November 26, 2012

5 Tips: Leftovers


In honor of post-Thanksgiving, a post about leftovers!

Leftovers are a huge part of my life. When I have delicious food, I want it to last forever.



At my place of work, we inevitably always have leftover food from lunch (because we all know the biggest disaster to face hardworking, productive engineers is Not Enough Food), so I package it all up and give an email overview at the end of the week so no one goes hungry over the weekend. A couple times I had "dinner parties" where I invited people over and said I'd "cook," but actually more than half of it came from my work refrigerator and was reheated in some magical way.  Here are some of my easy tricks to making leftovers more awesome:


  1. Put leftover salad in a Ziploc bag with a paper towel.
    (To avoid any moisture the veggies have collected. This will keep the salad fresh for at least 1.5 more days than it would be otherwise.) Don't do this if your salad already has dressing on it.
  2. Add a cool fruit or vegetable!
    Great way to spruce up a side dish or boring salad. Cool vegetable examples: asparagus, pear, avocado, CORN.
  3. Add a tiny bit of water to rice that has dried up.
    Microwave in... waves... and stir it around so it becomes soft again.
  4. Make pizza.
    Boboli or Trader Joe's crusts plus tomato sauce or BBQ sauce and cheese are an obvious base for your leftover meats and veggies.
  5. Put an egg on it!
    Fried eggs taste good on pretty much anything, am I right?

Of course there's the obvious "Put bacon on it" that is really just a broken record at this point. You know how much I love bacon, but its under-appreciated friend corn is both cheaper and vegetarian-friendly.

No comments:

Post a Comment