Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Stressful.

I was at work the yesterday when my coworker said to me, "Sam, I've started using the word 'stressful' a lot more in my daily vocabulary and I think it's because you say it all the time." This made me either laugh or snort, I can't remember. I'm no stranger to having catch phrases rub off on those I see daily... somehow they always seem to be in a Valley Girl imitation voice that I wouldn't necessarily associate with myself but oh well.

In college, "I knowwwwwww!"
This was us being cool in college.


And teaching middle schoolers, "What does that even mean!?"
(This was of course to teach them to be inquisitive, a very intelligent skill that may not seem so if asked in that voice I mentioned previously.)
Not middle schoolers, but picture proof that I was a teacher..

But "stressful"? Is that even a word someone can overuse? Because I thought it was just a factual adjective to describe a particularly tense situation. Most situations? Actually, since yesterday I've made a mental note that I've been in a situation that I would label as "stressful" (whether or not I used the word "stressful" out loud definitely had something to do with my overuse of the word being mentioned to me the day before (/convolutedsentence) ) at least 10 times. Two conclusions.

1. I get stressed out way to easily.
2. I prematurely label situations as "stressful."

Possible solutions:

1. Calm down.
2. Quit my job and instead of having any job, try to win money.
3. Think of synonyms for the word "stressful" so I do not so obviously overuse the word.
4. Do nothing.

For now I'm going to try a combo of #1 "Calm down." and #4 "Do nothing." Mostly because I'm afraid that if I attempt #1 "Calm down." too aggressively, I may fail and find myself in a -- for obvious lack of a better word -- stressful state of panic where I'm actually just trying to calm down.

Are you rolling your eyes? (I know.)

2 comments:

  1. I still find myself saying ... "he/she needs to RELAX." because of you

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha Valley girl. at least your catch phrases aren't YOLO

    ReplyDelete