Monday, June 20, 2011

Dad's Day

Yesterday was Father's Day, which I spent jetlagged. I arrived at Charlotte-Douglas Airport around 8 a.m. after a night full of flights, and immediately joined the family on a Bojangles- then church-run. Sermon topic wasn't exactly father's day aligned (leave it to Warehouse 242...): Bruce Marcey talked about HIV-AIDS...? It was a good sermon ("message") actually... with a special guest from Africa named Mish. And maybe Mish is a father or might be a father some day, but I am overdue to talk about my own father, so I'll get back on topic.

My loyal followers know that I often talk about all my best quirky qualities being inherited from my mother (sarcastic, love television, mostly drama-free, etc.), but in all fairness, my father is due at least half credit. (I understand that's how genetics work, anyway. It's confusing.) As a teacher, I have to give credit to all the good teachers in my own life: Mrs. Hardaway, fourth grade; Mr. Meyer, eleventh grade; Ning Zhao, viola teacher... just to name a few. All my best learned abilities, however, came from my dad. My dad taught me that epic action films are superior to all the others. Saving Private Ryan? Robin Hood Prince of Thieves? Yes, please.

Also, for my seventeenth birthday, my Dad gave me a book called "The Billionaire Next Door," with a note inside that said he hoped I could learn to be financially independent. One might say that I gained financial insight during the above-pictured trip to Las Vegas for my 21st birthday, where I won $400 through pure luck. But I thought about the book Dad gifted me recently (and somewhat ironically) in a conversation with my dad about my current finances. I definitely don't consider myself to be particularly adept with money. Examples: I rarely remember to pick up my paychecks on Pay Day (even though there's always a reminder on my wall calendar). Also, when I clean my room I almost always find at least $100 in cash or checks that I forgot I had. I know, it's irresponsible... and yet, here I am, a recent college graduate, and finally financially independent! Couldn't have done it without you, Dad!

Lastly, my father taught me the importance of self defense. I remember going into my dad's office to tell him good night, and he would put his hands up to my neck and ask me how I would defend myself against an attacker. "Push in my elbows! Push in my elbows!" Mostly it just tickled and I didn't take him seriously, but when I ended up going to Berkeley I was always aware of my surroundings, and I broke attackers' elbows in my sleep... never had to in real life, so far.

That brings me to how I spent my day today. I took a concealed carry weapons course in Charlotte, North Carolina, where I qualified to shoot a semi-automatic firearm and a revolver. My dad took the course already and he signed me up as soon as I booked my flight to North Carolina. This permit is not remotely valid in California, but for what it's worth, I'm an excellent shot.

Hope I made you proud, Dad! Happy Father's Day!

Everyone else: Are you afraid of me now?

1 comment:

  1. not afraid. until i watch that roommate movie.. we actually used to joke about this because in college if your roommate died you would get a 4.0 for the semester.. haha

    ReplyDelete