Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Online [Christmas] shopping

Is it really December 13 already? Thank goodness I noticed before the month was over half over. I used to not like December, because it meant cold, finals, and finding my way to over-crowded malls to buy lots of gifts with money I inevitably squandered the previous month on shoes I didn't need. Speaking of dreading overcrowded malls, if I were going to focus on that topic for this post, it would fit well in the hypothetical blog series, "Things I got from my Mom." But instead of cringing while I talk about the evils of commercial holidays and the insane crowds that go with them, I will today talk about my new favorite things: Online shopping.

Ten or so years ago, my grandmother became an affluent user of the internet (MUCH sooner than everyone else's grandmothers, I should add). For Christmas that year, her tech-savvy granddaughters sent their Christmas letters to "Santa Nana" via email. In these emails I combined my love of browsing online, obsessive-compulsiveness, and wanting things. I sent off my 20-item, itemized Christmas lists complete with links, pictures, size and color preferences, and prices (strategically I "forgot" to include the prices on some of these. In the naivety of my youth, I thought that would get past my grandmother.). Now, all my cousins send similar lists to my grandmother, who online shops and effectively avoids both crowded shopping malls and crowded post offices. She's a genius. Do you ever find yourself at the post office, waiting for your number to be called, and you think your knees are going to buckle under you and you'll fall and crack your head open before you get to mail off your packages? Not an irrational fear during the holidays, in my opinion.

I am an excellent gift giver. Everyone doesn't create itemized lists for their family and friends. Actually, if unsolicited, it's probably kind of rude. This year, to avoid gift-giving stress, I created a Google Doc around September with the names of all the people I planned to get gifts for, and then I started listening for anyone to say or do something that would give me a gift idea. Example: I had my friend Jessica as a Secret Santa this year. I noticed from her shopping habits that she has a weird obsession with food pillows. Obvious gift idea = food pillow. I have even branched out to gift consultations! Gave gift recommendations this year for friend's girlfriend, sister, boyfriend, and boyfriend's sister already.

The key to good gift-giving is online shopping. What is the point of knowing exactly what gift to get someone if you have to wander around Bed Bath and Beyond or some terrible place for two hours per gift? Especially if most of that wandering time is spent dodging psycho shoppers and runaway children.

Pros of Online Shopping:
1. No lines.
2. No driving.
3. No annoying people. (Unless your internet shuts off and you have to call AT&T or Comcast Customer Service. Then it will turn into the worst experience of your life.)
4. Receipts are in your email inbox, and you don't have to watch cash physically disappear from your wallet or skid marks appear on your credit cards.
5. Holidays usually mean free shipping!


Cupcake pillow, iPod battery extension, and a circle scarf that comes in a normal color? ...All done by Black Friday, thanks to The Internet. In fact, by Black Friday I had finished about 75% of my Christmas gifts already, so I got to had to spend money mostly on myself that day... Life is hard.

1 comment:

  1. hahahaha. love. I was inspired by your googledoc and made one, also included gifts I have received which will be helpful for thank you note time:)

    ReplyDelete