Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Toilet paper

When I buy toilet paper, I always buy this giant pack. It's the biggest size at Target. (I would buy the economy size at Costco, which is probably at least twice the size of this one, but this kind is much softer, and when I'm carrying it to my car, I can see past it enough to not get hit by a car.)

When I buy this giant pack of toilet paper, I always think to myself, "I'll never have to buy toilet paper again!" And I also think, "For the next six to eight months, there will be enough toilet paper left to use this as a coffee table!" And I am momentarily very self-satisfied for not only replenishing the toilet paper stash, but also for purchasing a high-quality piece of furniture.

Then, only two or three days (weeks...? months...?) later, I find myself in the toilet paper cabinet to grab a new roll, and...

We're out of toilet paper again.


It's just one of those things, I guess, where at first you think you have all the toilet paper in the world, and then one week you drink too much water and it's gone and you have to take an emergency trip to Target. Today Courtney and I both made emergency trips to Target, so we have two lifetime supplies of coffee tables and toilet paper...

My Australian co-worker/friend Mark thinks it's silly that so many things come in bulk in America. (This comment came after a CostCo trip where I came back with a 100-pack of AA batteries or something like that.) Well, Mark, I think it's silly that apparently Australians have to make emergency toilet paper runs every single day, if you are buying toilet paper rolls in 3-packs. I'm pretty sure that iPhones are the only thing that come in packs less than four here in the United States.

1 comment:

  1. never even thought about it being a coffee table - you're beyond creative.

    ReplyDelete