When I leave the apartment in the morning, this is what it's like:
8:45am Turn off whatever episode of L&O I'm watching and be proud of myself for being ready to leave for work early.
8:53 am Find my cell phone (usually either buried in the sheets, in a corner of the kitchen, or in between some couch cushions).
8:59 am Find my car keys.
9:00 am Walk out the door. On time!
9:01 am While locking the door, realize that coffee mug is still inside.
9:04 am Find coffee mug. Head back to the door.
9:05 am Realize that I'm pretty sure my cell phone is not actually in my purse.
9:11 am After searching for phone in various key places in my apartment, begin digging through purse.
9:17 am Find phone in purse. Make the following mental notes:
1. So that's where my phone charger is...
2. Twenty dollars? Where did that come from?
3. This month's AT&T bill... never going to want to take care of that. (Blog post re: automated customer service on its way soon)
4. Why do I have a six-month old movie ticket in here?
5. Clean out purse.
6. So much for being ready to leave early.
Keep in mind, this whole saga used to take place at 6:00am back when I was teaching. At least now it's light outside when I'm attempting
to locate all these things. On the other hand, I used to be able to bring Courtney in for back-up when I was a disheveled mess.
I'm not very good at leaving the house. I have been meaning to come up with consistent places to keep my cell phone, my keys, my coffee mug... At least maybe a checklist by the door? Once, I was looking through a Sharper Image catalog (or was it SkyMall) and I saw these pager keychains that help you find all of your stuff. You attach the pagers to your different stuff and then have a remote control by the door so that when you need to find something, you just push the button that finds it, and it vibrates or sets off a siren or flashing light or explosion or something so you know exactly where to find it. Here's one I found on Amazon.com, made by Brookstone.

Until I save up the $79.99 for this silly thing (or if I find one that sets off explosions or fireworks, however much that one costs), I guess I'll just have to save an extra 30 minutes to go through my current Leaving the House regime.
I bet you could find 79.99 in your room...
ReplyDelete